• Thread starter News
  • Start date
  • " /> News - The two apps I use when I need AirDrop on non-Apple devices | SoftoolStore.de - Софт, Avid Media Composer, Книги. | бесплатные прокси (HTTP, Socks 4, Socks 5)

News The two apps I use when I need AirDrop on non-Apple devices

News

Staff member
    Редактор

Enlarge / These kinds of sharing names are fun to shout across the house (I have first-hand knowledge of this). (credit: Kevin Purdy)

I like AirDrop just fine for sending files between devices, but I'm the only one of two humans in my household that regularly uses Apple devices. I cannot, to paraphrase the Apple CEO's litigation-influencing quip, simply buy my spouse an iPhone. And a MacBook. And sell our household Chromebook. And give up entirely on Windows-based PC gaming.

Instead, I've come to use two apps to send files between operating systems on the same Wi-Fi, whether they're systems from Cupertino, Redmond, Mountain View, or elsewhere. One is LocalSend, a cross-platform app with open-source client and protocol that I install wherever I can. The other, lower-friction tool that's especially handy for guests and rarely used devices, is SnapDrop, a website or webapp you open on both devices and then send files through, entirely on your local network. It, too, has its code out there for anybody to view.

Neither of these apps is new, which is good. They've been around long enough to garner good reviews and trust from their users. Beyond sharing files between two humans, I've also leaned on them when setting up headless systems or other quirky systems.

Read 8 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Top Bottom