Avid Media Composer 8 is proven and trusted by professional editors in every segment of film, television, and broadcast. Designed to handle high volumes of disparate file-based media, Media Composer delivers accelerated high-res-to-HD workflows, real-time collaboration, and powerful media management, eliminating time-consuming tasks so you can focus on telling a great story.
Media Composer is the most widely used NLE for professional film and video editing. With Media Composer, you gain accelerated high-res-to-HD workflows, automated media management, and Interplay Sphere for Mac support, extending real-time production everywhere. Experience the fastest file-based media workflows, ACE-certified tools, and the most trusted media management in the industry.
If you're a creative editor, you want an editing tool that not only makes storytelling simple, but helps you track your project, organize your media, and pull you through the trouble spots. That's why so many professionals trust their best ideas to Avid Media Composer. Unsurpassed creative tools, rock-solid media management, and the highest quality effects and output make Media Composer the most powerful editing solution available.
Faster and better than ever. Professional editors and producers like you around the world have told us what you need to succeed. More efficient and easy-to-use video editing tools. An open platform that enables you to work with everything you want and integrate into any workflow. More power to eliminate bottlenecks, so you can work faster than ever. We listened. We took notes. We made it happen.
• Accelerate high-res workflows - More content today is shot with high-res cameras, but the majority of programming is still HD. With the new FrameFlex tools, you can immediately start working in HD directly from high-res sources and maintain full creative control of the image reframing and keyframing, from beginning to end. In addition, 1D/3D Look Up Tables (LUTs) and Color Decision Lists (CDLs) make it easy to perform real-time RAW and LogC to Rec. 709 color space conversions.
• Automate media management - Gain more time for creativity with new features that accelerate and simplify file-based workflows. With Dynamic Media Folders, non-creative media tasks such as transcoding, copying, and consolidating can be automated in the background, without disrupting your editorial flow. Plus, you’ll get peace of mind as Media Composer now fully manages AMA-linked media as reliably as it does with native Avid media.
• Extend real-time production everywhere - Edit, share, tag, track, and sync media and projects with everyone on your editing team - no matter where you are in the world. Media Composer Interplay Edition provides full Interplay Production, Interplay Central, and Interplay Sphere support on Mac and PC, making remote cloud-based collaboration easy and cost-effective. What’s more, you can edit just as efficiently as you would if you were all at the home facility, using the same tools and workflows you know and trust. (Interplay Edition only).
• Gain total audio control - Forget wasting time mixing down audio levels by trial and error. With the new Master Audio Fader, you can insert RTAS plug-ins to tweak tones and optimize the overall program loudness, making broadcast regulation adherence quick and easy. You can also now make audio adjustments to any clip directly in the timeline - independently of any track-based automation - with the Clip Gain control.
• Streamline the video workflow with Pro Tools users - Video Satellite is now included with Media Composer, enabling audio editors and mixers to play Avid HD and SD video sequences directly in sync with their Pro Tools session, while maintaining full system power. In addition, Pro Tools | Software now includes the Avid Video Engine, enabling Pro Tools sound editors and mixers to play HD video of the latest Media Composer cuts directly in the Pro Tools timeline.
• Expand your creativity with options - Edit with the exact tools you need by simply adding options for the workflows you want. Add advanced and secondary color correction tools, mastering tools, and the Boris Continuum Complete Lite effects pack with the Media Composer | Symphony Option for online editing. Integrate Media Composer into iNEWS and ENPS workflows with the Media Composer | NewsCutter Option for news editing. Find the right clips or the best takes fast with the Media Composer | PhraseFind Option or Media Composer | ScriptSync Option, which both offer powerful dialog search capabilities to locate relevant clips quickly. And capture, monitor, and output video with a hardware-accelerated Media Composer | Nitris DX or Media Composer | Mojo DX video I/O interface.
• Performing a Background Render - This release supports rendering effects in the background while you continue to work in Media Composer. Once a job is submitted into the background, you can continue to work and check the render progress in the Background Queue window. Once the job is completed, the sequence will link to the new pre-computes and the effect icons will reflect the rendered state.
• Favorite Bins - A Favorite Bin is a bin that you can easily access regardless of what project you are in. A Favorite Bin can hold any items that a regular bin can hold, such as clips, sequences, effects templates, and titles. You might want to create a Favorite Bin to hold often used music, transitions, and templates. A Favorite Bin can reside on local or shared storage. You can create multiple Favorite Bins. The list of Favorite Bins is stored in the current user setting. You can choose to have the Favorite Bins folder appear at the top or the bottom of the Project Window.
• Select Project Window Improvements - The Select Project Window has been expanded to allow for longer project names. Additionally, when you click to select a project, a project summary for that project will appear in the Select Project Window.
• Searching for Marker Comment Text - You can search for text within the Marker Comment field across all sequences and master clips within the project, including opened or closed bins.
• Image Cache Setting - With this release, Media Composer now allows you to establish how much memory can be utilized for caching thumbnails in memory as well as disk. Caching images in memory allows thumbnails to quickly be recalled as you load or scroll in bins or sequences. Saving them to the disk cache allows them to be recalled after relaunching the application and can avoid the need for the application to have to create them again.
• Quick Filter in the Project Window - A quick filter text box has been added to the Project window. This allows you to quickly filter out bins in the Project window leaving only those bins in a flattened view that match the filter criteria. This is helpful when you have a large number of bins in a project and want to quickly filter for specific bins.
• Warning When Changing the Project Rate - In previous releases, you did not receive a warning message when changing the project rate. With this release of the editing application, if you change the project rate you will receive a warning message. For example if you change a project from 50i to 25p, you will receive the following message: WARNING: Effective image update rate changing from 50 fps to 25 fps. This message is informational. Click OK to continue.
• Support for DPX Files with DMF - With this release, DPX files are now supported with Dynamic Media Folders. The AIS (Avid Image Sequencer) Settings have be en added to the DMF Profile editor and allow users to specify Reel and timecode extraction as well as establish starting frame count and FPS. See "Creating a Dynamic Media Folder" in the Help. When you are working with DPX files and DMF, drop the folder containing the .dpx files into the DMF watch folder rather than individual .dpx files. This will allow each group of consecutive dpx files in that folder to be managed as individual master clips.